Permission for Certain Lines of Businesses

Businesses Subject to Permission

When you purchase one of our readymades, certain lines of business require permission and some only a registration. However, it can also happen that you do not need a permission to pursue your business, but you have to register it a certain authority. Sound confusing, let's unravel the mystery of starting a business.

What are the general rules? The general rule is that you are free to run any business you wish; i.e. without permission. All corporations must register their business at the trade office (Gewerbeamt). Applying for a permission requires that you have previously registered your business at the trade office in their municipality. The list below will show common examples where a license is necessary – next to registration at the trade office.

    • Accounting Firms
    • Alternative Practioners
    • Arms, Weapons

All these mentioned lines of business require a license:

    • Production and Trade
    • Running Shooting Ranges
    • Production and Trade of Military Weapons
  • Auctions
  • Aviation
  • Banks
  • Bars, Pubs when serving alcoholic beverages
  • Broker for Real Estate and Capital Investment Products
  • Casinos
  • Collection Agencies
  • Commodity Futures
  • Crafts
  • Disposal Sites
  • Distance or Remote Education
  • Driving School
  • Emigration Consultation
  • Employee Leasing
  • Explosives: Handling, Vending, and Transportation
  • Exposition / Ostentation of Persons
  • Facility with Harmful Effects to the Environment for opening and running
  • Ferry Operation
  • Financial Services
  • Gambling Halls, Penny / Amusement Arcades
  • Gaming Devices and Games with the Possibility to Win
  • Gas / Petrol Stations
  • Genetic Engineering Facitlities
  • Hospitals, Private General and Maternity
  • Insurance Brokering
  • Insurance Companiesa
    an insurance company is not permissible in the form of a GmbH
  • Investment Companies
  • Legal Consultation; Conducting Legal Business of Third Parties
  • Loan Brokering
  • Lodging Establishments
  • Lotteries
  • Mining, Detecting Natural Resources
  • Nuclear Plants, Storage of Nuclear Fuel
  • Old People's Home
  • Participation in Companies
  • Passenger Transportation (Taxis, Busses, e.g.)
  • Pawn Shops
  • Piercing Studio
  • Postal Services (letter forwarding)
  • Pharmacies
  • Pharmaceuticals
  • Poisons, Trading with Poison
  • Rail Companies (Infrastructure / Operation)
  • Real Estate Development
  • Recruitment / Employee Assignment
  • Realtors, Real Estate Brokers
  • Road Haulage
  • Security Industry
  • Tax Consulting Companies
  • Telecommunications
  • Towing Services (for vehicles not needing repairs)
  • Travel Business
  • Traveling Performers / Carnies / Showmen
  • Vivisections
  • Waste Disposal Plant
  • Waste Transport and Collection

Don't forget, applying for a permission requires that you have previously registered your business at the trade office (Gewerbeamt) in your municipality or applying simultaneously with registering your business. If you apply for a permission first without having registered your business you can be fined. Even if you are in a hurry, register first and then apply for a permission. Of course, best is to do both simultaneously.